Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Top 5 Goals for my first half marathon


This is the week of my first half marathon, which I am doing my best to not think about.   Instead, I am focusing on the last couple training runs, getting my knees in shape and trying to relax by way of  art projects.  While doing a poor job ignoring this upcoming race, my nerves are becoming frayed when I acknowledge all the unknowns:

  • What to wear for the 30 degree weather?
  • What to eat the day before?
  • What pace to start at?
  • Do I use the running supplements?
  • How to drink a cup of water on the run?
  • What does it feel like to run 13 miles? (The most I have run is 10mi during my training)
  • What if I need to go to the bathroom? (I imagine the scene from dumb and dumber “Just go”)


Luckily I have the unique opportunity to work in an environment with many other runners who have been in my same position and have gotten some great advice on goal setting for a first timer.   They have helped me block in some of those unknowns to eliminate doubt, and have helped me set my own personal goals.  

I have found that unlike many other adventures I have undertaken where you just do it and hope to survive…this has been months in the making. I need to set both real and stretch goals that take into account what my experience has taught me.   In my mind, I have a range of goals ranging from the very attainable to “daunting.” Mentally, it helps me to shoot for each one separately where I know I can accomplish some and can hopefully find motivation to push myself for the more difficult. 

5.  Finish

4.  Finish without walking

3.  Finish in a 10:00 min pace.   (2hr 11min)

2.  Finish with a Stretch goal of a 9:30 pace. (2hr 4min)

1.  Finish with enough confidence that I can run a full marathon next year.

*you can track my progress live by signing up here!

To set these goals, I used a hybrid of my past experience and more thoughtful projections: just doing it and hoping to survive and at the same time having real elements that will help me in future adventures.   At the end of the day, I hope this first race can serve as a benchmark that I will be able to compare a lifetime of additional goals against.  

I am so excited to see how I fair against these goals and even more excited to be able to share them with the other runners of this marathon weekend...I just hope I don't pee my pants.  See you all at the finish line!

1 comment:

  1. I know from college that you can handle going to the bathroom while running.

    ReplyDelete